- This event has passed.
Surf Therapy 21 May 2022
May 21 @ 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
The Surf Therapy clinics are designed for:
1.anyone who has a permanent or temporary disability
2.community members who’d like to volunteer their time and support in changing lives
As the nature of our Surf Therapy puts all involved at risk of transmitting / catching Covid we strongly recommend all volunteers/surfers/families/guests/anyone who attends are fully vaccinated at least 2 weeks before attending a surf therapy clinic.
Here’s the plan for the next few months (more to follow via WhatsApp on confirmation of your session):
- Surf sessions are by appointment only for both surfers and volunteers
- The support teams are made up of a Covid Compliance Officer, a trained Adaptive Surf Coach, a trained Head Volunteer, trained volunteers, and trainee volunteers
- Depending on the needs of a surfer there will be between 2 and 8 team members per surfer
- NB for safety reasons
- the surfer and volunteers will/may come into contact with each other
- sessions are 2 hours before and 2 hours after low tide and take place during hours when the Shark Spotters are on duty; if there is a full moon the tides are stronger
- The more volunteers we have, the more sessions we can offer.
- We will do our best to accommodate you on the date you select.
- For Volunteers each session starts with a 45 min safety training session and will end with a 20 minute feedback session
- For Surfers – we aim to host 3 surf sessions
- 100% sponsored sessions for underprivileged persons with disabilities
- Make a donation to a value you choose to contribute to safety training, specialist skills and maintenance of safety equipment (Value per surfer/clinic = R400)
- Private lessons – send me a quote (costs are dependent on the number of skilled safety members required on your team)
Thank you to our sponsors, volunteers and donors for making these events possible. If you would like to be part of our surf tribe changing a life one wave at a time please donate here.