- This event has passed.
Surf Therapy 19 February 2022
February 19 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
The Surf Therapy clinics are designed for:
- anyone who has a permanent or temporary disability and would like to surf
- community members who’d like to volunteer their time and support in changing lives
The safety of our surfers and volunteers is paramount, by signing up you agree to adhere to all COVID protocols published by the government at ALL times, not just at our event.
As the nature of our Surf Therapy puts all involved at risk of transmitting / catching Covid due to difficulty with social distancing and mask wearing, we strongly recommend all volunteers / surfers / families / guests / anyone who attends are fully vaccinated at least 2 weeks before attending a surf therapy clinic.
Here’s the plan for the next 3 months (more to follow via WhatsApp on confirmation of your session):
- Surf sessions are by appointment only for both surfers and volunteers
- The support teams are made up of a Covid Compliance Officer, a trained Adaptive Surf Coach, a trained Head Volunteer, trained volunteers, and trainee volunteers
- Depending on the needs of a surfer there will be between 2 and 8 team members per surfer
- For the foreseeable future and with stringent health practices in place each session is planned balancing the number of surfers, their needs, availability of volunteers, skills and Covid protocols.
- NB for safety reasons
- the surfer and volunteers will/may come into contact with each other
- sessions are 2 hours before and 2 hours after low tide and take place during hours when the Shark Spotters are on duty; if there is a full moon the tides are stronger
- The more volunteers we have, the more sessions we can offer.
- We will do our best to accommodate you on the date you select.
- For Volunteers each session starts with a 45 min safety training session and will end with a 20 minute feedback session
- For Surfers – we aim to host 3 surf sessions
- 100% sponsored sessions for underprivileged persons with disabilities
- Make a donation to a value you choose to contribute to safety training, specialist skills and maintenance of safety equipment (Value per surfer/clinic = R400)
- Private lessons – send me a quote (costs are dependent on the number of skilled safety members required on your team)
To get involved
Thank you to our sponsors, volunteers and donors for making these events possible. If you would like to be part of our surf tribe changing a life one wave at a time please donate here.